You don’t have to use a pre-existing template to create your own manuscript, though this certainly helps when creating manuscripts that conform to a publisher’s requirements.
- Choose Create new manuscript on the Welcome screen or select File > New > Manuscript with Template… from the main menu.
- Click Create Empty Manuscript.
A new manuscript with no defined sections opens.
From here, you can:
- Define sections, specifying word and character counts, as well as page behavior, using the Section palette, in the content tab of the Inspector.
- Set styles for text elements using Paragraph Styles palette, in the style tab of the Inspector.
- Set citation styles, element labels, layouts for figures and tables, and more using the Manuscript palette, in the style tab of the Inspector.