Manuscripts supports both footnotes and endnotes. Footnotes are aggregated at the end of the section to which they belong, while endnotes are aggregated at the end of the manuscript in a section labeled Notes.
Once you add a note, you can navigate between the note and the anchor in the text by clicking the label.
- Add a footnote or endnote
- Edit an existing note
- Change the labeling for notes
- Remove an individual note
- Delete all footnotes in a section
- Delete all endnotes in the manuscript
Add a footnote or endnote
To add a note:
- Place your cursor where you want to anchor your note.
- Select Insert > Footnote or Insert > Endnote from the main menu.
- Type your note and insert citations as needed.
Edit an existing note
- Right-click on the label for the note and select Edit Footnote.
- You can also edit notes by selecting the note (rather than the label) at the end of the section or manuscript.
Change the labeling for notes
By default, Manuscripts labels footnotes and endnotes using Western Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3…). You can change this to:
- Lowercase Roman numerals
- Uppercase Roman numerals
- Lowercase alphabetical
- Uppercase alphabetical
To change the label:
- With the focus somewhere in the body text of the document and not in a table or figure, open the Inspector, to the right.
- Select the style tab (the tab to the right).
- Under Manuscript, select either the Footnotes or Endnotes dropdown and select a new label type.
Remove an individual note
To remove a single footnote or endnote:
- Right-click on the note label in the body of the manuscript and select Remove Footnote or Remove Endnote, as applicable.
Delete all footnotes in a section
To delete all the footnotes for a section:
- In the outline, expand the section that contains the notes you want to delete.
- Right-click on Footnotes and select Delete Footnotes.
Alternatively, you can use the gutter helper:
- With your insertion point in the footnotes, at the end of a section, open the gutter helper selection menu by clicking the blue o in the left margin.
- Select Delete Footnotes.
Delete all endnotes in the manuscript
To delete all the endnotes in the manuscript for a section:
- In the outline, expand the Notes section.
- Right-click on Endnotes and select Delete Endnotes.